Springtime asparagus and spinach combine for a delicious frittata, a flat, round Italian omelet.Yield: 6 servings
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Eggs are filled with 13 essential nutrients and phytonutrients and may help prevent muscle loss in aging adults.Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 1
Post a Comment
- 1 ¾ cups fresh cut asparagus (1- to 1 ½-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 8 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup 1% low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 5 cups fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- ½ cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped, optional garnish
Tips & Notes
• Choose bright green asparagus stalks with purple-tinged tips. Avoid wilted or limp stalks. You’ll need roughly 8 to 9 ounces of fresh asparagus spears for 1 ¾ cups cut and trimmed pieces.
• About 4 to 5 ounces of fresh spinach will yield 5 cups loosely packed.
• Browse more great breakfast and brunch recipes.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Place asparagus and water in glass pie plate or bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 3 minutes, or until asparagus is tender-crisp and still bright green.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper in large bowl until blended; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in oven-proof 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until spinach is slightly wilted, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cooked asparagus along with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Pour egg mixture in skillet and stir gently to evenly distribute ingredients. Cook until eggs are almost set, about 8 to 11 minutes. (Eggs will still be runny on top, but set on sides and bottom.)
- Remove frittata from heat, sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese, and place skillet in oven, about 6-7 inches from heat source. Broil until the center is firm and cheese is completely melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with fresh basil if desired. Cut into 6 wedges.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 224, Fat – 15.5g, Dietary Fiber – 1.2g, Protein – 16.6g, Vitamin A – 61%, Vitamin C – 18%, Calcium – 21%, Iron – 12%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.