Absolutely all five nutrient-rich food groups (grains, vegetables, fruits, milk/cheese and meat/protein) are represented in this sweet-savory barbecue chicken pizza.Yield: Makes 1 pizza, cut into 8 or 10 slices
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Nutritional Highlights: You’re on your way to eating more whole grains every day if you make this pizza with whole wheat crust instead of white.Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 5
Post a Comment
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2½-2¾ cups onions, thinly sliced (¼-inch) and halved (roughly one large onion weighing 14 ounces before peeling and cutting off ends)
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pre-baked, purchased whole wheat pizza crust (10-12 ounces, 11-inch round)
- ⅔ cup barbecue sauce
- 4 ounces cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced or shredded
- ¾ cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- additional barbecue sauce for drizzling over top, optional
Tips & Notes
Traditional white or yellow onions, such as Spanish or Bermuda, work best with this pizza. Use Granny Smith apples if you prefer a tarter apple flavor to balance the sweet sauce. Other apples such as Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Fuji, Gala and Golden Delicious, work extremely well on this pizza.
- Preheat oven (and pizza stone) to 450°F or temperature indicated on pizza crust package.
- In a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat oil and butter. When they are hot, add onion slices; cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat just slightly, and cook additional 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions have reduced in size and are soft and slightly golden brown.
- Add apples and cook, stirring constantly, another 2 to 4 minutes, until apples are just barely starting to soften. (Aim for crisp-tender.) Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Spread barbecue sauce evenly on pizza crust and top evenly with chicken and Gouda cheese. Spoon apple-onion mixture evenly over entire pizza, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 8 minutes, or until ingredients are hot and cheese is melted. If desired, drizzle a very small amount of barbecue sauce over top.