This creamy cold cucumber soup uses avocado, as well as mint, parsley, yogurt and buttermilk, to make a refreshing green summer soup that requires no cooking.Yield: 4 servings of roughly 1⅓ cups each
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Cucumbers have one of the highest water contents of any vegetable – about 95%. Plus they’re fairly low in calories and provide critical vitamin K, needed for bone health and blood clotting. Avocados are a nutrient powerhouse providing only 50 calories in one-fifth of a medium avocado, yet nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 3
Post a Comment
- 4 very large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 5½ cups chopped)
- 2 avocados, pitted and flesh scooped out
- ¾ cup green onions, finely chopped (white and green parts)
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt*
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk*
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon ground black pepper
- green onions or chives, chopped, optional garnish
*Gluten-free notes: Check the yogurt’s label, as some brands are still working on clearing all ingredients in their natural flavoring to be GF. Also, some dairies add “food starch-modified” to buttermilk, which is not gluten-free, so check the label.
Tips & Notes
• Lemon or lime juice on cut avocado helps prevent browning, but don’t cut the avocados until you’re ready to pop them in the food processor.
• English cucumbers, which probably don’t need to be seeded, are perfect for this recipe. Traditional cucumbers are probably more budget-friendly.
- In a large food processor bowl, combine cucumbers, avocado and green onions, and process until smooth. Add the mint, parsley, yogurt, buttermilk and lemon juice; process thoroughly. Add salt and pepper, and blend until all ingredients are thoroughly processed.
- Chill at least 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions or chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 274, Fat – 16.3g, Dietary Fiber – 9.3g, Protein –9.2g, Vitamin A – 23%, Vitamin C – 53%, Calcium – 24%, Iron – 16%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.