Put those eggplants to use with our breadcrumb-crusted, pesto-laden take on the classic eggplant Parmesan.Yield: 4 servings
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Nutritional Highlights: The tomatoes used in the marinara sauce are extremely nutrient-rich. They’re an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K plus potassium and fiber, and cooked tomatoes have even more of the phytonutrient lycopene.Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston Catering
Recipe From: Tennessee Home and Farm
Total Comments: 8
Post a Comment
- ¼ cup plus 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (18-ounce) eggplant, sliced lengthwise into eight 1/2-inch thick slices
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 extra large egg
- ½ cup panko
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- unsalted butter
- ½ cup pesto sauce (pre-made or store-bought)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (see our recipe below or you can use store-bought marinara sauce)
- 2 8-ounce balls buffalo milk mozzarella cheese, each cut into six 1/4-inch thick slices
- Prepare marinara sauce, if needed. Combine ingredients in saucepan over low heat, stirring to combine. Yields about 4 cups. Use as needed below, and freeze any extra.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper on a dinner plate.
- Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water on a second plate.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on a third plate.
- Dredge the eggplant on both sides in the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and roll in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan, and cook the eggplant on medium-low for about 3 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Don’t crowd the pan.
- Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the eggplant. Allow eggplant to drain on paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place four slices of eggplant on baking sheet. Top each with ¼ cup marinara, three slices mozzarella cheese, 1 tablespoon pesto and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining eggplant slices.
- Bake until heated through, about 8 minutes. Serve hot.