Did you know that pears were recognized by the FDA as one of the most popular 20 fruits? Take a look at some fun facts and recipes about the American-grown fall fruit:
- The United States is the 3rd largest producer of pears in the world, with the top producing states being Oregon and Washington.
- Pear harvest of U.S. varieties begins in August and continues through October.
- Every U.S. pear is picked by hand.
- About 33% of the country’s pear crop is exported overseas each season.
- There are over 3,000 known pear varieties grown around the world.
- Pears are one of the few fruits that don’t ripen on the tree. They are picked when they are fully mature, but not yet ripe.
- Do not refrigerate an unripe pear – they are meant to ripen at room temperature.
- Pears are an excellent source of fiber, a good source of vitamin C and only 100 calories per serving.
If all that pear talk made you hungry for the sweet, juicy fruit, try one of these pear recipes to satisfy your craving: