Total Comments: 4
Post a Comment
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1¾ cups cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
Tips & Notes
Alternately, make a four-layer red velvet cake by using just two 8-inch cake pans and slicing them in half after they've cooled.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar, oil and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, stir together food coloring, cocoa and vanilla. Add to sugar mixture and combine.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add sifted ingredients alternately with buttermilk to sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Pour batter into five 8-inch round cake pans coated with nonstick baking spray and flour.
- Bake layers just until cake loosens from the sides of pans and the center springs to the touch, about 12-15 minutes. Do not overbake.
- To make icing, mix all icing ingredients well.
- Once cake has cooled, spread icing between the layers and over top and sides of the five-layer cake.