- 1¼ cups white/whole-wheat flour (such as King Arthur brand)
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened natural applesauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons raw sugar
Tips & Notes
These muffins are quite moist due to the berries and best served the day they’re baked. They’re a little more finicky than most muffins when it comes to removing them from the tins to the cooling rack, too. Leftovers can be stored in a loosely covered container, as a tight container will turn the muffin tops soggy due to the berry moisture. More Fresh Strawberry Muffins Tips & Notes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange oven rack in center position. Coat 12 standard muffin tins with vegetable cooking spray. If using paper baking cups, spray the bottom of each paper cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in liquid mixture. Stir with fork, wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until ingredients are barely combined, about 20 strokes. There will still be some unincorporated flour mixture on bottom of the bowl. Add strawberries to batter, and stir just until ingredients are combined. (Overmixing will result in tough muffins.)
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy warm.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories – 251, Total Fat – 9.8g, Sodium – 147mg, Total Carbohydrates – 36.9g, Protein – 3.8g **Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.