Our simple strawberry pie recipe is as pretty as it is delicious.Yield: 8 servings (1 pie)
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Just eight medium strawberries provide more than 150 percent of your daily value for the disease-fighting vitamin C.Recipe From: Tennessee Home and Farm
Total Comments: 3
Post a Comment
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (1 quart halved; remaining quart sliced lengthwise into 4-5 slices)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered pectin for lower sugar recipes
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 prebaked 9-inch pie shell
- Puree 2 cups of the halved strawberries in blender, scraping down sides, until smooth.
- Bring puree, sugar, pectin and salt to a boil, stirring occasionally, over medium heat.
- Increase heat to medium high and boil until sugar and pectin are dissolved (about 1 minute).
- Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup cold water until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add cornstarch to strawberry mixture, then return to boil, stirring constantly over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring, until mixture becomes thick and clear, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cinnamon, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool to room temperature. (Reserve ¼ cup for topping.)
- Fold sliced strawberries into large bowl of glaze, coat thoroughly.
- Turn glazed berries into pie shell and spread evenly. Place berry halves in concentric circles, flat side down, points toward center. (Start at center and work out to edge.)
- Stir 2 tablespoons water into reserved glaze to thin, and brush over berry halves. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to serve.