Yep, you read that right. July is National Ice Cream Month! Personally, I don’t think I could be any more excited to celebrate one of my favorite desserts. Seriously, who doesn’t like ice cream? It’s creamy, refreshing, and oh-so-versatile. With literally hundreds of flavors and delicious pairings (pie, cake, chocolate sauce, sprinkles…I could keep going), no wonder it got its own month. Let’s beat the heat with cool facts, news and recipes featuring ice cream.
Former President Ronald Reagan declared July National Ice Cream Month in 1984, and the third Sunday of July is National Ice Cream Day (a double whammy!). Most consumers still go with traditional flavors, with 29% licking vanilla, but new and interesting flavors are popping up all over the country.
An ice creamery in New Jersey is churning out a chocolate habanero mix, while Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams (with locations in Columbus, Ohio and Nashville, Tennessee) is serving up goat cheese with red cherries. And in San Francisco, there’s even a place selling strawberry black olive ice cream. Would you try these adventurous flavors?
Check out some other fun facts about the quintessential frozen dessert:
- About 9% of milk produced by U.S. dairy farmers is used to produce ice cream.
- California is the top producing ice cream state. Indiana is ranked second.
- Ice cream is enjoyed by 90% of the nation’s population.
- America’s top five individual flavors are vanilla, chocolate, cookies ‘n cream, strawberry and mint chocolate chip.
- By federal law, ice cream must contain at least 10% milkfat, before the addition of bulky ingredients like fruit or cookies.
- It takes approximately 50 licks to finish off one scoop of ice cream.
- The U.S. is the top ice cream consuming country in the world.
- It takes 12 pounds of milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
And celebrate all month long with these tasty ice cream recipes:
- Avocado Lemon Ice Cream
- Fresh Peach Ice Cream
- Blueberry Ice Cream
- Stirred Lemon Ice Cream with Fresh Cherries
- Peach Melba Ice Cream with Raspberry Sauce
- Homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? How will you be celebrating the month-long occasion?