This simple tomato sauce recipe can be used for pizza or pasta.
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Total Comments: None
Post a Comment
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, diced small
- 2 medium onions, diced medium
- 1 large can (28 ounces) peeled Italian-style plum tomatoes, in juice
- 1 small can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 6 ounces dry red wine (use the empty tomato paste can as a measure)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- fresh basil
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- sugar (a few teaspoons if necessary)
Tips & Notes
Freeze it in ice cube trays, and you’ll have small amounts always handy.
- Whirl tomatoes into chunks in food processor or blender.
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until light brown. Add tomatoes, paste and wine. Add oregano and other spices. Simmer 1 hour.
- Taste for bitterness; blend in a little sugar to correct.
- Use over pasta as is, or cook down for a few minutes more to use on pizza.