Total Comments: 3
Post a Comment
- 2 cups water
- 5½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
- ½ cup melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- Boil 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Moisten 2 cups cornmeal with 2 cups cold water. Stir into boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until thick mush is formed. Remove from heat.
- Add 3 cups cold water, 2 cups cornmeal and 1 cup flour. Mix well.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cups cornmeal over mixture, but do not stir. Tie cloth over mixture and let stand in a warm place for 24 hours or until sour enough to bubble.
- Then add 2 cups sugar and ½ cup melted shortening and mix well.
- Pour into a greased stem pan and cook for 1 ½ hours in a preheated 325- to 350-degree oven.
- Leave in pan until cool.
Old-Fashioned Corn Light Bread Variation:
- Instead of adding 2 cups sugar and ½ cup melted shortening before baking, mix in 1½ cups sugar, ½ cup molasses, 4 eggs and ½ cup melted shortening.
- Bake as directed above.