Light and sweet biscuits are topped with juicy strawberries and fluffy whipped cream.Yield: 6 servings
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Nutritional Highlights: Just eight medium strawberries provide more than 150 percent of your daily value for the disease-fighting vitamin C.Recipe From: Tennessee Home and Farm
Total Comments: 7
Post a Comment
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 cups whipped cream
*See Tips & Notes section for gluten-free substitution.
Tips & Notes
Gluten-free Substitution: Replace all-purpose flour equally with prepared, gluten-free all-purpose flour mix. Check flour ingredients for any spelt, oat or wheat ingredients as these are not gluten-free.
- Mix strawberries in a bowl with sugar and let stand for at least 1 hour. Adjust sweetness with sugar if necessary.
- With oven rack in lower middle position, heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In food processor, pulse the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Put into large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the beaten egg with half-and-half, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Turn the mixture onto floured surface (mixture will be sticky) and knead just until dough comes together; be careful not to overwork.
- Pat dough into large rectangle, about ¾-inch thick. With a 2 ½-inch fluted biscuit cutter, cut out 6 dough rounds.
- Place on a baking sheet and brush the tops with egg white. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Begin to assemble shortcakes: When cooled, slice biscuits in half. Place bottom halves on individual plates. Spoon a portion of the fruit and then whipped cream over each. Top with remaining biscuit half and serve immediately.