Made-from-scratch shortcakes, fresh summer peaches, blackberries and homemade whipped cream combine for a perfect summer dessert.Yield: 12 servings
Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Nutritional Highlights: Peaches are packed with several major nutrients, including vitamins A (beta-carotene), C and potassium. With just 38 calories in a medium-sized peach, they’re an excellent source of fiber, good for blood sugar and naturally fat free.Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston Catering
Recipe From: Tennessee Home and Farm
Total Comments: 3
Post a Comment
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond flavoring
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 6 peaches, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (fruit preservative)*
- splash of warm water
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
*You can also use lemon juice to prevent the peaches from browning.
Tips & Notes
Try other variations of this recipes – just peaches, just blackberries or other berries entirely. Simply adjust the sugar as needed, depending on the sweetness of the fruit you're using.
- With oven rack in lower middle position, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In food processor, pulse the flour, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Put into large bowl.
- Mix the beaten egg with half and half and almond flavoring in a small bowl. Pour into bowl with flour mixture and stir until just combined. Turn the mixture onto floured surface (mixture will be sticky) and knead until just combined.
- Pat dough into large rectangle, about ¾ inch thick. With a 2 ½-inch fluted biscuit cutter, cut out 6 dough rounds. Place on a baking sheet and brush the tops with egg white.
- Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 13-15 minutes.
- While the shortcakes are baking, prepare the fruit in a large bowl with a cover. First, sprinkle sliced peaches with Fruit Fresh to prevent them from turning dark. Add a splash of warm water to peaches to moisten, then add the blackberries and stir in the sugar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream and sugar until peaks start to form.
- After removing the golden brown biscuits from the oven and allowing them to cool, slice them in half. Assemble the shortcakes by adding a spoonful of peaches and blackberries and a dollop of whipped cream to one half of the biscuit, and then top each shortcake with the other biscuit half.