A French chef created this dessert with sugared peaches, raspberry sauce and ice cream at a London hotel during the late 19th century in honor of the Australian opera singer Nellie Melba.Yield: 8 servings
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Peaches are packed with several major nutrients, including vitamins A (beta-carotene), C and potassium. With just 38 calories in a medium-sized peach, they’re an excellent source of fiber, good for blood sugar and naturally fat free.Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston
Recipe From: Illinois Farm Bureau Partners
Total Comments: 2
Post a Comment
- 4 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and cut in half
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Fresh mint sprigs
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed (or use fresh raspberries, rinsed well)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cook sugar and water over low heat, stirring gently with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved.
- Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer gently for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Add peach halves and simmer in the simple syrup for an additional 5-7 minutes. Cool and chill.
- Process raspberries in a blender until smooth, scraping down the sides.
- Press mixture through a wire mesh strainer, using the back of a spoon to squeeze out juice. Discard pulp and seeds.
- Whisk in cornstarch until smooth. Whisk in sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cool and chill.
- Place 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream in each bowl.
- Top each serving with 1 peach half and drizzle the raspberry sauce around the peach.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and serve immediately.