Roasted garlic, onions and tomatoes combine for a savory sauce that can be frozen for several months or used immediately.Yield: 10 cups
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Total Comments: 2
Post a Comment
Tips & Notes
This roasted tomato sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for several months.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Peel the garlic and chop 5 of the cloves, leaving remaining 10 cloves whole.
- In a large roasting pan, gently toss together the tomatoes, whole and chopped garlic, onions, herbs, oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes. Gently stir the vegetables.
- Roast for another 25 minutes and gently toss.
- Roast for another 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and somewhat broken down into a sauce, with a golden brown crust on top.
- Remove from the oven and taste for seasoning. Add a few tablespoons of sugar if it tastes bitter.
- If you like a smoother consistency, pour the finished sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until it is the texture you like. Pour the sauce into freezer bags if not using immediately. (It can be frozen for up to 6 months.)
- Use over pasta or in any recipe that calls for tomato sauce.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 225, Fat – 10.8g, Dietary Fiber – 8.1g, Protein – 5.1g, Vitamin C – 152%, Iron – 41%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.