Serve up some fall flavors in this colorful soup featuring butternut squash and apples.Yield: 7 cups
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Apples contain cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber while butternut squash is brimming with vitamin A.Recipe Created By: U.S. Apple Association
Total Comments: 1
Post a Comment
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, finely chopped (about 4½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
- 1 pound sweet apples, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3½ cups)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil and butter in large saucepan; add onions and chili powder; cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add squash, apples, apple juice, chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat until apples and squash are very tender, about 30 minutes. Cool.
- Puree with an immersion blender or a food processor; return to saucepan.
- Add additional apple juice or broth, if needed. Garnish with toasted pecans, sour cream swirls and thin apple slices, if desired.