Did you know that you can tell whether an egg is fresh or stale by dropping it in water? A fresh egg will sink, but a stale one will float. Here are some more farm facts about eggs.
• Eggs contain all the essential protein, minerals and vitamins, and egg yolks are one of the few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D.
• Eggs are good for your eyes because they contain lutein, which helps prevent age-related cataracts and muscle degeneration.
• An egg shell can have as many as 17,000 pores over its surface.
• The edible part of a chicken’s egg is approximately 74 percent water, 12 percent protein and 11 percent fat.
• China produces about 160 billion eggs per year, making it the largest egg producer in the world.
• There are roughly 280 million laying birds in the United States, and each produces 250 to 300 eggs a year.
• A chef’s hat is said to have a pleat for each of the many ways you can cook eggs.
• About 60 percent of eggs produced in the U.S. are used by consumers, and about 9 percent are used by the foodservice industry.