Juicy watermelon combines with garden herbs, bell peppers and cucumbers to create this summer soup that requires no cooking.Yield: 6 servings of 1⅔ cup each
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: The tiny leaves of so many herbs, including Italian parsley, basil and oregano, all used in this watermelon soup, are packed with natural phytonutrients and antioxidants. Watermelon itself is rich in two antioxidants, vitamins A and C, plus lycopene, a phytonutrient that may help reduce prostate cancer risk.Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 5
Post a Comment
- 10 heaping cups watermelon, diced into ½- to ¾-inch cubes
- 1½ cups sweet white onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1½ cups cucumbers, finely chopped, peeled and seeded
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 heaping cup)
- ⅓ cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar*
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
*To ensure this recipe is gluten-free, use a GF red wine vinegar. (Heinz is one example, according to the manufacturer.)
Tips & Notes
If you’re really pressed for time, precut onion, bell pepper and watermelon are readily available in most supermarket produce departments.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss lightly. Puree half the mixture, in batches if necessary, in a large food processor or blender.
- Transfer to another large bowl. Stir the remaining diced mixture into the pureed mixture.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or chill 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate watermelon gazpacho in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 144, Fat – 4.3g, Dietary Fiber – 3.4g, Protein – 2.8g, Vitamin A – 63%, Vitamin C – 137%, Iron – 10%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.