Comfort yourself with a hunk of jalapeño cornbread knowing that it’s 75 percent whole grain from the white whole-wheat flour and whole-grain cornmeal.Yield: 8-12 servings
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Nutritional Highlights: Jalapeños are a great source of antioxidant vitamin C and may possibly help with congestion – great during cold and flu season!Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
Recipe From: My Indiana Home
Total Comments: 3
Post a Comment
- 1 ¼ cups whole-grain cornmeal (fine grain)
- ¼ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil*
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 2 jalapeño peppers, veins and seeds removed and finely minced**
* Vegetable (soybean) oil or canola oil, with their milder flavor, work best with cornbread.
**Use only one jalapeño pepper if you prefer a less spicy cornbread.
Tips & Notes
• Degerminated cornmeal is refined and missing some of the natural corn nutrients. Look for bags or containers of 100% stone ground or 100% whole grain cornmeal.
• White whole-wheat flour contains all the same 100% whole-grain goodness as traditional whole-wheat flour. It’s just milder tasting and lighter in color.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-inch round baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil together until thoroughly combined. Add liquid ingredients, corn kernels and jalapeños to dry mixture, stirring until all ingredients are just moistened. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 243, Fat – 9.3g, Dietary Fiber – 2.3g, Protein – 6.0g, Calcium – 11%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.